Whether you're interested in olakino (the Native Hawaiian word referring to your body's health and vitality) or simply hoʻomaha (relaxation or taking a break), beach yoga on the golden sands of Waikiki Beach beckons you. Imagine the tropical breeze tickling your skin as you get into a downward dog pose while a stunning Hawaiian sunrise creeps up over the horizon. It's all part of the Waikiki Resort Hotel's world-class amenities for all of our guests.
What is Waikiki Beach Yoga?
Beach yoga combines the numerous wellness benefits of yoga with the serene and calming environment of Waikiki itself, where you can feel the mana (energy) of the Hawaiian islands while you take in breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean with the iconic peaks of Diamond Head looming above you.
Waikiki beach yoga involves performing all of your favorite yoga poses, breathing exercises, and meditation on the sandy shores of Oahu. Practicing yoga on the beach can add an extra dimension to the experience, as it allows you to connect with nature, feel the warmth of the sun, listen to the sound of the waves, and breathe in the fresh air.
The uneven, shifting sand can also add an element of challenge and balance to the yoga poses, making it a unique and enjoyable experience for yoga enthusiasts of all skill levels.
Where Can You Do Yoga on the Beach in Waikiki?
Waikiki Resort Hotel in Honolulu features a full range of amenities for our guests. Waikiki beach yoga is the newest amenity available to you when you book one of our scenic rooms centrally located in the heart of Waikiki.
If you're a guest and want to try Waikiki beach yoga, you have several options during your stay:
- Time: Class starts at 7 a.m., making it the perfect time to catch Oahu's world-famous sunrises (the sun rises at around 7:10 a.m. during the winter season).
- Days: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays (but check before you visit, as the schedule can change)
- Cost: None! Guests of Waikiki Resort Hotel enjoy free yoga in Waikiki as part of our complimentary cultural & wellness program.
- What to know: Your complimentary Waikiki beach yoga class runs for 60 minutes. You'll be provided with everything you need to enjoy free beach yoga in Oahu, and visitors of all skill levels are welcome. However, each Waikiki beach yoga class can only host a maximum of 15 guests, so book online and reserve your free spot ahead of time!
The Waikiki beach yoga classes offered to our guests are led under the watchful expertise of Julia Jay, a personal instructor, nutrition coach, and renowned yoga instructor. Her goal is to help you find your zen and inner peace, even amidst the hustle and bustle of your busy Waikiki vacation itinerary.
How to Prepare for Your First Waikiki Beach Yoga Class
Ensure you're dressed appropriately for the weather conditions on the beach. Bring sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and a light cover-up if it's cooler that morning. You'll also want to:
- Bring water to stay hydrated. Exercising in the sun can be dehydrating, so take some sips before, during, and after your practice (there's a water dispenser conveniently located in the Waikiki Resort Hotel's lobby)
- Wear comfortable and breathable clothing suitable for yoga and the Hawaiian weather. Consider moisture-wicking fabrics that dry quickly if you'll be sweating
- Aim to arrive a bit early to settle down, find a good spot, and perhaps get acquainted with the instructor and other participants
- Approach the class with an open mind and be prepared for a unique experience. Yoga on Waikiki Beach might feel a bit different from yoga in a yoga studio due to the sand, the sounds of nature, and the incredible environment around you
- Respect the aina (land) and its surroundings. Clean up after yourself, and try not to disturb the natural environment.
The Waikiki Resort Hotel is proud to introduce free beach yoga to our guests as part of our popular amenities program. It's just one of the many ways we welcome our visitors with the true spirit of aloha. Book your stay at Waikiki Resort Hotel online or call us at 1-800-367-5116 to see why our prime location, friendly staff, convenience, and amenities earn top ratings among our guests, whether you're an avid yogi or are trying beach yoga for the first time!