Looking for an activity that combines sports and recreation with the natural wonders of Hawaii? Oahu’s golf courses command jaw-dropping settings amid the island’s sun-drenched beaches, lush mountain valleys, and volcanic peaks. Whether you are enjoying a round alone or with friends, playing outdoors in wide-open spaces makes golfing one of the best socially distanced sports. Here’s a round-up of the best golf courses on Oahu.
Kapolei Golf Club
Designed by architect Ted Robinson, Kapolei Golf Club spreads across 190 acres of sugar cane plantation in the foothills of the Nanakuli Forest Reserve. Legends of the game Greg Norman and Annika Sorenstam have graced these greens and fairways at the PGA Tour Champions’ Pacific Links Championship and the tour's Lotte Championship.
- The 18-hole, 72-par course features 7,001 yards of golf with elevated greens, five lakes, and 80 bunkers.
- Private, junior, and SNAG (Starting New at Golf) lessons are available with PGA-certified instructors.
- Distance from Waikiki: Approximately 23 miles (35-minute drive).
Waikele Country Club
Another Ted Robinson-designed course, the palm-lined Waikele Country Club boasts unprecedented views of Pearl Harbour, Diamond Head, and lush mountain slopes.
- The 72-par championship course covers 6,663 yards with Bermuda-grass fairways and paspalum greens interspersed by cleverly positioned bunkers, ponds, and waterfalls.
- Shop for designer accessories, clothing, and footwear at the club’s Waikele Premium Outlets before or after around.
- Distance from Waikiki: Approximately 18 miles (30-minute drive).
Ko Olina Golf Club
Set on the leeward (western) coast of the island, the immaculate Ko Olina Golf Club has hosted prestigious events such as the LPGA Tour’s Hawaiian Ladies Open and Lotte Championship. This challenging Ted Robinson-designed course has even ranked in Golf Digest’s 'Top 75 Resort Courses in the U.S.'
- Undulating fairways, multi-tiered greens, and dramatic water features characterize this 72-par, 6,815-yard-long course.
- Hone your ability at the Golf Academy, which provides classes for all ages and abilities, and on-course lessons.
- Distance from Waikiki: 28 miles (40-minute drive).
Hawaii Prince Golf Club
World of Golf Hall of Fame original Arnold Palmer teamed up with architect Ed Seay to create a memorable golfing experience at the Hawaii Prince Golf Club. This unique-to-Hawaii 27-hole course covers 270 acres of lush, rolling landscape with views of the Waianae mountain range.
- It has three 9-hole courses that can be played interchangeably, and are revered for their long fairways, white-sand bunkers, and fast greens.
- Practice at the club’s all-grass driving range, and its manicured putting and chipping greens.
- Distance from Waikiki: Approximately 24 miles (just over a 35-minute drive).
Turtle Bay Golf
The wild coastline of the North Shore is a wonderful location for the two championship courses and 18-hole putting course of Turtle Bay Golf. Here, nestled between the perfect-blue Pacific Ocean and palm-clad countryside, are masterpieces that honor the legacies of golfing greats Arnold Palmer and George Fazio.
- Demanding holes—each with five sets of starting tees—weave around wetlands and verdant jungle on the Arnold Palmer Course.
- The (slightly) less challenging George Fazio Course has been the host venue for the LPGA Tour’s Hawaiian Open.
- A round at the Breaks Putting Course offers fun for both seasoned golfers and newbies alike.
- Distance from Waikiki: 46 miles (about a 1-hour drive).
Swing Your Way Over to Waikiki
Oahu is a golfing destination that lures players from around the world and there’s a course for everyone, regardless of whether you play off scratch or are just starting out. Make a reservation at the Waikiki Resort Hotel to get easy access to courses and have the aloha spirit waiting to welcome you after your round.